By Andrew Lingo for Passport USA
If the demand for healthcare professionals is heating up in the USA, then the demand for MedTechs has reached the boiling point. Here are five reasons why:
- The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that between 2012 and 2022 the demand for clinical laboratory technologist/technician job will grow by 22 percent.
- The U.S. programs preparing tomorrow’s laboratory workforce train only about half of what is needed.
- Fewer than 5,000 individuals are graduating each year from accredited training programs.
- According to the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), the number of accredited clinical laboratory technology programs has steadily declined.
- Approximately 40 percent of the laboratory workforce is within ten years of retirement.
Today, client requests for Medical Technologists have started pouring in and the U.S. hospitals can no longer deny their need for well-trained laboratory professionals.